Full Armor Of God
“Put on THE FULL ARMOR OF GOD so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
- Ephesians 6: 11-12
Whether you play a sport, go cycling, or enjoy hiking there are all kinds of protective gear that can be purchased to help protect from injury; however, adults often forget or refuse to wear it. As a result, our physical bodies are exposed to possible harm.
Just like our physical bodies need protection, our spiritual bodies need protection as well. God tells us in Ephesians 6 that our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. God tells us to put on the FULL ARMOR OF GOD so that you can take your stand again the devil’s schemes. The power given to us by God works. We need to literally take it out and PUT IT ON every day!
What armor does God give us to fight the enemy?
· The belt of truth: This is symbolic of the clothing of the Messiah--Jesus. Isaiah 11:5 tells us, “Righteousness will be his belt and faithfulness the sash around his waist.” God is offering us Christ like power against the enemy.
· The breastplate of righteousness: Isaiah 59:17 states, “He put on righteousness as his breastplate, and the helmet of salvation on his head.” The heart and the mind are protected.”
· Feet that are fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace: In Biblical times messengers ran barefooted. Here the person is fitted with protective footgear to be able to react swiftly, kind of like God’s Nikes. God prepares us to go, or move, when we are called or told to do so.
· The shield of faith is important. This protects the heart. In biblical times shields were soaked in water. Therefore, when they were hit by flaming arrows, the arrows were extinguished.
· The helmet of salvation protects the mind.
· The sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God
Remember the enemy does not give up easily, so let's use all the resources God has given to us.
Father God, I thank you that you are our source of strength. Help me to remember to put on the FULL ARMOR that You have given to me so that I will be ready to take a stand against the devil’s schemes.